***Staff Applications are now closed, please come and participate on the Day of Big Event: March 28th, 2015 Sign up at firstname.lastname@example.org***
We are extremely excited you are considering applying for Staff Assistant for the 2014-2015 Big Event Year. Please read through all the below information. We are taking about 220 staff assistants this year, so we encourage you all to apply!
Please follow these Two steps in order to apply:
- Webform: Staff Assistant Information Form: Fill Out HERE
- Application: Staff Assistant Application: HERE
- Applications are due Friday, November 7th in The Big Event Cube (127C) Koldus by 4pm
- Check to see if you have recieved an email Sunday, November 9th. Interview sign-ups will be available at 8am via a Google Doc.
- Please attend one of the optional informationals listed:
Monday, November 3rd MSC 2406A
Tuesday, November 4th MSC 2406A
Wednesday, November 5th MSC 2406A
The Big Event is made possible by countless hours of behind the scenes work from our executive team, committee, and staff assistants. If you enjoyed participating last year, you would be a great fit for staff. Here are some reasons you should apply for staff assistant:
- Join the Family of Big Event by meeting 240+ new people who love community service, and who desire to make an impact the world
- Develop relationships with 20 residents and determine how best to serve them on the day of.
- Determine the job description, tool count, and participant number for every job site you check.
- Play an active role on day of in distrubuting food, tools, check-in process, problem management, tool bringback, media relations, and various other jobs.
- Have the chance to make an impact at Texas A&M University through impacting the community.
Email us if you have any questions at email@example.com and we look forward to seeing you apply for staff or serving as a participant on March 28th 2015!
About The Big Event
Through service-oriented activities, The Big Event promotes campus and community unity as students come together for one day to express their gratitude for the support from the surrounding community.
The Big Event at Texas A&M University is an organization that strives to uphold the ideals of leadership, unity, and service. This one day event is not based on socioeconomic need, but rather, is a way for the student body to express their gratitude to the entire community that supports Texas A&M. It is important to remember that The Big Event is not about the number of jobs completed or the number of students who participate each year. Instead, it is the interaction between students and residents, and the unity that results through out the community that makes The Big Event such a unique project.
The Big Event hopes to continue to grow not only in the Texas A&M campus, but also encourages the idea of “selflessly serving” in other college towns. The Big Event has seen tremendous growth and change over the years. Participation has grown over the last 31 years to 17,600 students completing almost 1,800 jobs in the communities of Bryan and College Station, TX. Presently, over 95 Big Events occur at other universities across the nation. We plan for The Big Event to one day be self-funded and have established an endowment to fund future Big Events at Texas A&M. Ultimately, we hope to establish a national Big Event day where universities across the nation will join together to perform a day of service. Although The Big Event has become the largest one day, student run service project in the nation, our message still remains the same – simply saying “thank you.”
Responsibilities of a Big Event Staff Assistant:
- Attend weekly meetings: Tuesday 7:30pm
- Check about 18 job sites by visiting residents
- Recruit about 20,000 student participants
- Recruit about 2,000 jobs for the Day of Big Event
- Run the Day of operations of The Big Event on March 28th 2015
- Be a part of The Big Event Family!
- First Staff Meeting: November 18th in MSC 2400 at 7:00pm
- Fall Social: November 22nd, time and place TBA
- Weekly Meetings: 7:30pm every Tuesday for one hour
- Office Hours: 1 per week in the Spring
- Table Hours: 6-7 hour total in February
- Spring Retreat: Saturday Jan 24th, 2015
- Checking Job Sites: 1-2 hours per week with partner
- Matching Day: Wednesday, March 18th, 2015
- Night Before Banquet: Friday, March 27th, 2015
- The Big Event: Saturday, March 28th, 2015
What are we looking for?
The Big Event is looking for individuals who posses the following qualities:
1. Passion/Zeal to Serve-Those with a selfless motivation to serve people. We are looking for people that serve others regardless of their position or social standing.
2. Humility- We look for individuals who have a mindset and perspective that is greater than themselves and who can impact and affect the lives of those around them
3. Hard-Working- Individuals that give themselves to a worthy cause and will accomplish the dreams they set their minds to.
4. Self-Starter- We look for people that can deliver well not out of obligation but, because of the passion for service they posses, they naturally start, create and build new ideas.
5. Creative/Innovative- We look for people that relentlessly seek improvement and always posses the question: How can this be done better?
6. Synergetic- It is vital to have members that work well in a team environment and have experience in leadership positions. The family of The Big Event is built upon people that encourage one another.
7. Communicative- Finally we seek people with strong oral and written communication skills. As a member on The Big Event you will be contacting and meeting with companies and will need to be able to express your thoughts and ideas in a manner that represents The Big Event of Texas A&M.
How do we choose among applicants?
Applicants are chosen based on the needs of The Big Event Team for the year. The combination of the application and interview will be determined through a weighted scoring system. The Big Event considers the whole individual and the personal hard work, dedication to the service of others, and leadership skills exemplified through the application process. “The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Prohibiting discrimination based on these factors in any and all forms. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, and Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.”
Please respond to the 3 questions on the Main Application on no more than 2 pieces of single-spaced, one sided paper, using Times New Roman 14pt font. Turn in three stapled copies of your responses with your UIN only at the top of each page, and paper clip the Main Application as a cover sheet to your responses.
What does a Staff Assistant do?
A Staff Assistant on Big Event is the hands and feet of the organization. Staff Assistants meet with residents of the Bryan/College Station community through job checks. On these job checks Staff get to know the story of the residents and will be in charge of organizing the details for about 18 jobs they will be assigned. Staff Assistants also have the incredible opportunity to recruit about 20,000 student particpants for the Day of Big Event and recruit about 2,000 jobs in the community. Staff Assistants will also be running the operations of the Big Event on March 29th 2014. Most importantly our Staff Assistants will be incorporated into the Family of Big Event. This Family has deep traditions and the character/selfless attitude of each individual makes this organization unmatched on campus.
We have many student leaders from across campus particpate as Staff Assistants and the time commitment is very managable for these leaders. Please review the mandatory dates and hours above for more details concerning time commitments.
Date TBA: Applications are Available
November 3rd, 4th, and 5th 2014: Staff Assistant Informationals
- Monday Nov 3rd (date and time TBA)
- Tuesday Nov 4th (date and time TBA)
- Wednesday Nov 5th (date and time TBA)
November 7th 2014: All Applications Due in The Big Event Cube (127C) Koldus from 8am – 4pm
November 9th 2014: **You will be notified later this afternoon on Sunday November 9th** concerning the interview selection.
November 10th, 11th, 12th , 13th, and 14th 2014: Staff Assistant Interviews
November 16th 2014: Final results will be availalbe Sunday evening
Contact our Development Executives David Jordan and Katie Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application.