Staff Assistant application details:
The Big Event is made possible by countless hours of behind the scenes work from our executive team, committee, and staff assistants. If you enjoyed participating or serving as a volunteer last year, you would be a great fit for staff assistant. Here are some reasons you should apply to be a staff assistant:
- Conduct multiple job checks with residents, while also directly assisting a committee member.
- Play an active role on day-of in distributing food, tools, check-in process, problem management, tool bring back, media relations, and various other jobs.
- Have the chance to make an impact at Texas A&M University through impacting the community.
The Big Event is looking for individuals who possess the following qualities:
- Passion/Zeal to Serve-Those with a selfless motivation to serve people. We are looking for people that serve others regardless of their position or social standing.
- Humility– We look for individuals who have a mindset and perspective that is greater than themselves and who can impact and affect the lives of those around them.
- Hard-Working– Individuals that give themselves to a worthy cause and will accomplish the dreams they set their minds to.
- Self-Starter– We look for people that can deliver not only out of obligation but because of the passion for service they possess; they naturally start, create and build new ideas.
- Creative/Innovative– We look for people that relentlessly seek improvement and always pose the question: How can this be done better?
- Synergetic– It is vital to have members that work well in a team environment and have experience in leadership positions. The family of The Big Event is built upon people that encourage one another.
- Communicative– Finally we seek people with strong oral and written communication skills. As a member of The Big Event you will be contacting and meeting with companies and residents and will need to be able to express your thoughts and ideas in a manner that represents The Big Event at Texas A&M.
Applicants are chosen based on the needs of The Big Event Team for the year. The combination of the application and interview will be determined through a weighted scoring system. The Big Event considers the whole individual and their hard work, dedication to the service of others, and leadership skills exemplified through the application process. “The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Prohibiting discrimination based on these factors in any and all forms. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, and Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.”
We have many student leaders from across campus participate as Staff Assistants and the time commitment is very manageable for these leaders; however, this position is not to be taken lightly and can be busy at times. Expect to attend weekly meeting with the whole Big Event and your committee member, complete multiple job checks per week, and actively be communicating with residents. Please review the mandatory dates and hours on the application for more details concerning time commitments.
The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.
As an applicant for a committee, commission, or other position in SGA, your grades will be checked prior to selection.
This Anti-Discrimination clause is subject to all positions of the organization including the Director, Finance Director, Executive Staff, Committee Members, and Staff Assistant members of the organization. If you would like to receive a copy of any application, please contact the Director of The Big Event at firstname.lastname@example.org.