Apply for Staff!
The Big Event is made possible by countless hours of behind the scenes work from our executive team, committee, and staff assistants. If you enjoyed participating last year, you would be a great fit for staff. Here are some reasons you should apply for staff assistant:
- Join the Family of Big Event by meeting nearly 300 new people who love community service, and who desire to make an impact on the world.
- Develop relationships with 20 residents and determine how best to serve them on the day-of.
- Determine the job description, tool count, and participant number for every job site you check.
- Play an active role on day-of in distributing food, tools, check-in process, problem management, tool bring back, media relations, and various other jobs.
- Have the chance to make an impact at Texas A&M University through impacting the community.
What are we looking for?
The Big Event is looking for individuals who possess the following qualities:
- Passion/Zeal to Serve-Those with a selfless motivation to serve people. We are looking for people that serve others regardless of their position or social standing.
- Humility– We look for individuals who have a mindset and perspective that is greater than themselves and who can impact and affect the lives of those around them.
- Hard-Working– Individuals that give themselves to a worthy cause and will accomplish the dreams they set their minds to.
- Self-Starter– We look for people that can deliver not only out of obligation but because of the passion for service they possess; they naturally start, create and build new ideas.
- Creative/Innovative– We look for people that relentlessly seek improvement and always pose the question: How can this be done better?
- Synergetic– It is vital to have members that work well in a team environment and have experience in leadership positions. The family of The Big Event is built upon people that encourage one another.
- Communicative– Finally we seek people with strong oral and written communication skills. As a member of The Big Event you will be contacting and meeting with companies and residents and will need to be able to express your thoughts and ideas in a manner that represents The Big Event at Texas A&M.
How do we choose among applicants?
Applicants are chosen based on the needs of The Big Event Team for the year. The combination of the application and interview will be determined through a weighted scoring system. The Big Event considers the whole individual and their hard work, dedication to the service of others, and leadership skills exemplified through the application process. “The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Prohibiting discrimination based on these factors in any and all forms. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, and Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.”
What does a Staff Assistant do?
Staff Assistants meet with residents of the Bryan/College Station community through job checks. On these job checks, Staff get to know the story of the residents and are in charge of organizing the details for roughly 20 jobs they are assigned. Staff Assistants also have the incredible opportunity to recruit student participants for the Day-of The Big Event and recruit jobs in the community. Staff Assistants will also be running the operations of The Big Event on April 2nd, 2016. Most importantly, our Staff Assistants will be incorporated into The Big Event family. This family has deep traditions, and the character/selfless attitude of each individual makes this organization unmatched on campus.
We have many student leaders from across campus participate as Staff Assistants and the time commitment is very manageable for these leaders; however, this position is not to be taken lightly and can be busy at times. Please review the mandatory dates and hours on the application for more details concerning time commitments.
Applications will be opened on Friday, October 4th and will be due a week later at 5:00 PM on Friday, October 11th. Applicants will be notified via email on Sunday, October 13th whether they have received an interview or not, and interviews will be conducted from Monday, October 14th through Friday, October 18th. Applicants who receive an interview will be notified of the decision by Monday, October 21st. For planning purposes: the first staff meeting will take place on Tuesday, October 22nd at 7:00PM.
Each applicant is required to attend one of our informational sessions. Each session will last around 30 minutes. If you cannot attend any of the informational sessions, please email email@example.com
Monday, Oct. 7th- 5:30 PM, MSC 2406B
Tuesday, Oct. 8th- 5:30 PM, MSC 2406A
Wednesday, Oct. 9th- 5:30 PM, MSC 2406 A
Thursday, Oct. 10th- 5:30 PM, Rudder 501
SGA Anti-Discrimination Clause
The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.
As an applicant for a committee, commission, or other position in SGA, your grades will be checked prior to selection.
This Anti-Discrimination clause is subject to all positions of the organization including the Director, Finance Director, Executive Staff, Committee Members, and Staff Assistant members of the organization. If you would like to receive a copy of any application, please contact the Director of The Big Event at firstname.lastname@example.org.