Apply for Committee!
The Big Event is made possible by countless hours of behind the scenes work from our executive team, committee, and staff assistants. If you enjoyed participating last year, you would be a great fit for committee. Here are some reasons you should apply for committee:
- Join the Family of Big Event by meeting nearly 300 new people who love community service, and who desire to make an impact on the world.
- Supervise and lead a subcommittee of staff assistants throughout the year.
- Play an active role on day-of in distributing food, tools, check-in process, problem management, tool bringback, media relations, and various other jobs.
- Have the chance to make an impact at Texas A&M University through impacting the community.
What are we looking for?
The Big Event is looking for individuals who possess the following qualities:
1. Passion/Zeal to Serve-Those with a selfless motivation to serve people. We are looking for people that serve others regardless of their position or social standing.
2. Humility– We look for individuals who have a mindset and perspective that is greater than themselves and who can impact and affect the lives of those around them.
3. Hard-Working– Individuals that give themselves to a worthy cause and will accomplish the dreams they set their minds to.
4. Self-Starter– We look for people that can deliver not only out of obligation but because of the passion for service they possess; they naturally start, create and build new ideas.
5. Creative/Innovative– We look for people that relentlessly seek improvement and always pose the question: How can this be done better?
6. Synergetic– It is vital to have members that work well in a team environment and have experience in leadership positions. The family of The Big Event is built upon people that encourage one another.
7. Communicative– Finally we seek people with strong oral and written communication skills. As a member of The Big Event you will be contacting and meeting with companies and residents and will need to be able to express your thoughts and ideas in a manner that represents The Big Event at Texas A&M.
How do we choose among applicants?
Applications for committee will become available on August 30th. Applicants are chosen based on the needs of The Big Event Team for the year. The combination of the application and interview will be determined through a weighted scoring system. The Big Event considers the whole individual and the personal hard work, dedication to the service of others, and leadership skills exemplified through the application process. “The Student Government shall not discriminate against, nor give preferential treatment to, any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Prohibiting discrimination based on these factors in any and all forms. Big Event’s admissions process can be found in Chapter 104, Article 2, and Section 2 of the SGA Code. You have the right to appeal any committee decision to The Judicial Court.”
We have many student leaders from across campus participate as Committee Members and the time commitment is very manageable for these leaders; however, this position is not to be taken lightly and can be busy at times. Please review the mandatory dates and hours on the application for more details concerning time commitments.
Applications will be opened on Friday, August 30th and will be due a week later at 5:00 PM on Friday, September 6th. Applicants will be notified via email before Monday, September 9th whether they have received an interview or not, and interviews will be conducted during that week.